The hardest thing about picking a topic that will yield so many resultsis deciding what to include and what to cull. As we were given free reign, I selected things I liked ! I confess to being a bit of a dinosaur - I kept hand written lists of search stategies and results, as well as a word document, lists of sites in "favourites" in internet Explorer - not very stable at the Polytechnic so they are on my Delicious account as well!
The site Acapella Hymns was a little odd, impossible to find out about site authors and so on, however, the information on it is well presented and from my other reading seems accurate. It is powered by Word Press, has copyright and "rights reserved" info. It is a .com, but seems to provide historical and current information on Christian Acapella groups in the US as well as selling their C.D.'s.You can read posts and comments on the site, but these have been blocked as it seems to have been attacked by sellers of Viagra, which I am sure was a little distressing to the site authors - whoever they are!
I spent a bit of time on Music Australia but couldn't find an audio link to what I was interested in. Copyright restrictions and limited access meant it just wasn't worth chasing down The Hermannsburg Ladies Choir - Aranda languge songs and Music. I have heard them on ABC radio and television, but the recording listed in Trove is available in 4 libraries in the NT, 1 at the State Library of NSW, and 1 at Melbourne University. Too expensive and time consuming to get a copy of a 1986 analogue tape recording - georgous as it is ! Copyright expires in 2056, maybe it will be easier after that, maybe not.
I seemed to spend most of my time editing and trying to decide what to include.
I wish I'd made a list or references in the one spot and added to this as I went along, instead of having them scattered all over the place. This would have saved time when compiling my reference list. I have been avoiding this and cannot put it off any longer - JUST DO IT WOMAN!
nothing wrong with being a "dinosaur", Margaret. I too keep everything written down, you can't trust technology 100%!! A good evaluation of your searching process and strategies and how you could improve on this - well done
ReplyDelete